August 1, 2011

August Spending Hiatus

Pin It now!
Ok, it's been awhile but I'm back.  Let's just say that life had to settle a bit in the last few weeks before I could be back on track. Yes, I'm totally being vague on purpose....

Anyway...

Spending hiatus - I haven't done one of these in awhile.  I think I've been doing ok with generally spending less although last month money seemed to be flowing out without any regard.  So to tighten the belt a little and to get into shape fiscally before the end of the summer, I'm putting myself on a one month spending hiatus.  Like the other ones I've done, it's not technically a complete freeze on spending, just a month of being mindful and trying to spend less - a lot less.  It's hard with birthdays, anniversaries and summer outings, but this can be a good test of living frugally.  Plus, I fit a few big ticket items in last week - haircut, baby shower gift, and new cellphone - so this month might be easier on the wallet.

Day 1 ($0):  I've been making coffee at home for the last few weeks and it's been working out really well.  Since I'm already preparing coffee, it makes it easier to also prepare breakfast and lunch for the day.  Quaker oatmeal and Daniva vanilla yogurt with granola have been my staples for the last few weeks. I also supermarket shopped this weekend for different lunch options so I'm trying to brown bag it for the rest if the week.  As for dinner, no big plans during the week do turkey burgers and sweet potatoes will do just fine.  I packed a lot of snacks for work too so foodwise, I'm good so far.

I also put a few things up on eBay that were worth selling.  My old cellphone and a few new, never-been-worn work items that have been sitting in my closet for way too long.  They'll only bring a few bucks in but it's nice to clean out my closet and earn a few $$. 

I'll keep you updated on my progress this month...

No comments: