August 16, 2011

New York City Bar Panel

Pin It now! Back in June, I spoke on a panel at the City Bar Association's "Careers in Compliance".  I have to tell you - I was so nervous!  It was a good nervous though and it was thrilling to sit up there and describe my work and my career path.  The other panelists and I prepared questions beforehand and I had an idea of what I was going to say, but at one point, I remember I was digressing into some long winded explanation on how I got to where I am now, and I forgot what the question was.  It was so easy to talk about myself but I went on forever.  I said "um" a lot too.  The rest of the night went really well and people came up after the program to ask more questions.  It really surprised me how intrigued people were about my current position and what jobs I had. 

I learned a lot though: I realized that I have a lot to say and know a lot more than I think I do.  I learned that what I thought was a hilarious joke wasn't funny to anyone else and I was left in dead silence.  I found it also important to have an elevator pitch - if you need to say something important, sum it up and make it memorable but it has to be conveyed quickly enough as if you're riding up the elevator with someone.  I found this extremely helpful when describing myself and what I do - sum it up and do it fast and impressively.  And always have something to say.  It should be constructive and insightful, but don't just sit there and let others answer.  Be involved and participate - it makes a huge difference.

No comments: